Thursday, June 11, 2009

Recipe: Cauliflower Pizza!

Ingredients:

1 large head of cauliflower
2 cups cheese (mozzarella, cheddar, or a combo of both)
2 eggs
Optional herbs (thyme, fennel, oregano, basil & parsley all work wonderfully)

Method:

It's as easy as 1 - 2 - 3:

Pre-heat oven to 200 degrees Celsius. Line pan or pizza stone with baking paper.

Rice the cauliflower by putting florets into a food processor and buzzing until finely processed (but not mushy). Place cauliflower into a microwave-safe bowl and zap for 6-8 minutes. You should end up with about two cups of riced cauliflower.

Mix in cheese and eggs until smooth. Spread evenly over baking paper in a round shape. Sprinkle with herbs. Place in over until golden on top and starting to crisp around the edges (around 15 minutes in my oven).


Remove from oven and add desired toppings. I used sliced tomato, sliced capsicum, mozz & parmesan cheese, mushrooms and some meat (only had salami). I choose to sprinkle cheese over toppings, rather than placing it between the base and the toppings. The cheese in the base helps keep the topping in place and connected to the base.


Place completed pizza back in the oven until the cheese melts and toppings are cooked to your preference. Cut and serve while hot. Also delicious reheated.


Aw yeah. Cauliflower pizza base topped with mushrooms, salami, capsicum, tomato, and cheeeeeeese!

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks good! How did you make the "crust?"

Jezwyn said...

I have edited the post to incorporate the pizza recipe - enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Thanks! I'm going to give it a try.

Sue said...

though the pizza was yummy the base wasn't crispy is was still soft. How can I crisp it up?

Jezwyn said...

You can cook the base for longer - I tend to use toppings that take a good 20 minutes to cook, so mine crisps up during the second bake. I also bake mine on baking paper and pizza stone.

If your fan-forced over still isn't doing the job, turn the temp down and dry the base out for a while. I usually don't fuss beyond crisping the edges since I'm not a fan of eating it with my hands (I like serving it HOT) :)

Unknown said...

Help! Really want to make this but I don't see any measurements. How many eggs, cauliflower and cheese did you use in the crust? Thanks!

Jezwyn said...

Thanks for reminding me to update this post, Laura :) Regular readers at the time had been exposed to the recipe (i.e. a link to the original post by the brilliant Jamie Von Eaton), but it makes sense that the post should have all the details now that it stands alone. :) Enjoy!!

Anonymous said...

Hey there, just a shout out to you from California. We just made this pizza and loved it. Even the cauliflower haters and the skeptics admitted this was tasty. Thank you!

Your new fan,

Gina
Long Beach, CA

Jezwyn said...

Hey Gina, glad it impressed! It's still my favourite primal recipe, despite the fact that I do better on fewer carbs. :)

Chef Franky G said...

Are microwaves primal??? Wow, I didn't expect to see that tool used in your kitchen.

Jezwyn said...

Charming sarcasm, Chef - you are a wit.

Yes, over a year ago I was still learning how to cook without questionable modern appliances such as the microwave. These days, if I'm to make a cauliflower pizza, I use raw cauliflower, though I still use a food processor to rice it - how unforgivable.

I follow the PaNu approach to primal eating - it's about replicating the paleolithic metabolic milieu, not mimicry of the caveman experience.

ChefFrankyG said...

Just playful teasing Jezwyn.... I appreciate your blog and the text of your experiences. A food processor, blender are see as upgrades to get ease in our food preparation. I see the microwave stand out for it is a machine that certainly takes away healthy qualities rather than to enhance.

Cassie said...

Mmm ya I've been missing pizza. What a great recipe

keebs said...

Thanks for a great blog. I really enjoy reading it.

I made this pizza tonight. It was really good. I mixed the herbs right into the cauliflower mix (rather than sprinkling on top) and added garlic and onion powder too.

Thanks again. It satisfied a pizza craving quite well!

Anonymous said...

I wonder if you could roast the cauliflower in the oven until it begins to brown rather than put it in the microwave?

Chris said...

I tried the recipe today. It's really nice and it tasted great. I assume it's the most healthy pizza I ever ate.
Thanks for the delicious recipe ;D

Chris from Germany

Anonymous said...

What would be steaming/cooking substitution for the cauliflower microwave step?

Unknown said...

Made this tonight. Delicious.
My 11yo fussy eater son wasn't keen.
My 6yo eat anything daughter devoured it and had seconds.
I loved it.
Base wasn't crisp, so had to use cutlery. No biggie.
Will experiment with drying out the base next time and probably not smothering it with spinach and mushrooms, which probably added to the soggy base due to their moisture content.

Love your blog, BTW. Am new to paleo eating, and look forward to trying more of your recipes. I love dairy, especially cheese, too much to give it up too.